[OpenAFS] FreeNAS/ZFS and OpenAFS
Andreas Ladanyi
2018-05-17 18:50:34 UTC

i want to ask you if there is an experience of a setup with FreeNAS/ZFS
storage and OpenAFS. Do  i need two server boxes. One FreeNAS storage
box and one for the OpenAFS daemons and connect them with iscsi ?

Is it possible to run the OpenAFS server services in FreeNAS ? (maybe
this could be a question for the FreeNAS guys)

Does it make sense / is it a good idea to combine ZFS and OpenAFS ?

Andreas
ProbaNet SRLS
2018-05-20 21:56:56 UTC
Post by Andreas Ladanyi
i want to ask you if there is an experience of a setup with
FreeNAS/ZFS storage and OpenAFS. Do  i need two server boxes. One
FreeNAS storage box and one for the OpenAFS daemons and connect them
with iscsi ?
We use this setup and we are happy!
Post by Andreas Ladanyi
Is it possible to run the OpenAFS server services in FreeNAS ? (maybe
this could be a question for the FreeNAS guys)
FreeNAS is FreeBSD, but it has a very reduces set of packages.. Try
asking FreeNAS guys!
Post by Andreas Ladanyi
Does it make sense / is it a good idea to combine ZFS and OpenAFS ?
We use ZFS volumes as block devices for iSCSI LUNs and it works very well.

Stefano
Neil Davies
2018-05-24 21:26:25 UTC
We do the same - have done so for nigh on 4 years now

Had power outages and nas hardware lockup’s but no loss of integrity over such events.

In process of buying h/w to expand and migrate old data

Sent from my iPhone
Richard Feltstykket
2018-05-17 19:17:46 UTC
Hi Andreas,

We have had our AFS servers running on ZFS on Solaris, OpenIndiana, and FreeBSD for a few years.

This slide deck has a good presentation on what to do:

http://conferences.inf.ed.ac.uk/eakc2012/slides/AFS_on_Solaris_ZFS.pdf

Cheers,
Richard
Hi,